Re: Inconsistent error handling in START_REPLICATION command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inconsistent error handling in START_REPLICATION command
Date: 2016-03-11 18:11:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:36 AM, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
>> It looks like a decision needs to be made here whether to apply this patch,
>> send it back to the author, or reject it so I'm marking it "Ready for
>> Committer".
>>
>> Robert, since you were participating in this conversation can you have a
>> look?

> Who, me? *looks around*
>
> OK, I had a look. I don't think this is a bug.

I agree, and Craig's complaint that this change reduces flexibility
for plugins seems to tilt the balance against it. I see that Alex
himself accepted that argument in his last message in the thread
(<CACACo5Sm-tY-9YijuLbXmcLmSkYtcTaVQh_1j4tADfjC+1-bCw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>).
So let's mark it rejected and move on.

> unexpected PQresultStatus: 8

It is a bit annoying that psql doesn't print "COPY_BOTH" here.
But fixing that is not this patch, either.