Re: Re[2]: Importing Data into Postgresql from MS Access

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org>
Cc: "Tony Simopoulos" <karkalis(at)earthling(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Importing Data into Postgresql from MS Access
Date: 2000-10-12 22:56:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

TS> the COPY command is the sorriest excuse for a data load tool i have
TS> ever had the displeasure of working with.

COPY was never intended as a data format conversion tool. It started out
as a quick & dirty tool for saving and restoring database contents.
It's accreted a few frammishes over the years, notably the user-settable
delimiter option, but basically it's still designed to read files that it
wrote itself.

I agree with Tony that a separate tool for format conversions would be
mighty handy. I don't think that trying to load down COPY with more
features is an appropriate approach --- let it do what it does well,
namely database backup and restore. But we do need something that can
handle the layout and data-conversion tasks needed to import data from
other DBMSes.