Re: [HACKERS] How to turn off TOAST on a table/column

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] How to turn off TOAST on a table/column
Date: 2001-11-27 22:08:32
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> writes:
>> would suffice to disable toasting of all columns in 'mytable'.

> This would reimpose the max-tuple limit on that table, would it not?
> So trying to store 'too large' a text would error?

Right. Presumably, that's what Barry wants to test. In practice the
other values are more likely to be useful (for toastable datatypes
that is).

>> See src/include/pg_attribute.h for documentation of the allowed values
>> for attstorage.

> This needs to get into the admin docs. I suppose it's also waiting on the
> ALTER TABLE interface.

Yeah. Right now it's too easy to shoot yourself in the foot (for
example, you mustn't set attstorage to anything but 'p' for a
non-varlena datatype). So we haven't wanted to document the
UPDATE-pg_attribute approach.