Re: Raising our compiler requirements for 9.6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Raising our compiler requirements for 9.6
Date: 2015-08-16 16:49:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2015-08-15 23:50:09 -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
>> Solaris Studio 12.3 (newest version as of Oct 2014) still does that
>> when optimization is disabled, and I place sufficient value on keeping
>> inlining enabled for such a new compiler.

> Ah, that's cool. I was wondering generally how we could find an animal
> to detect that case once pademelon met its untimely (or timely by now?)
> end.

Yeah. If we get to the point where we can't actually find any toolchains
that work that way, it may be time to revise our portability policy. But
for now Solaris Studio is a good-enough reason to not move the goalposts.

>> The policy would then be
>> (already is?) to wrap in "#ifdef FRONTEND" any inline function that uses a
>> backend symbol. When a header is dedicated to such functions, we might avoid
>> the whole header in the frontend instead of wrapping each function. That
>> policy works for me.

Works for me as well, as long as we have buildfarm critters that will
notice oversights.