Re: Updating multiple bool values crashes backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)ncl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updating multiple bool values crashes backend
Date: 2000-10-25 18:14:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)ncl(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
>> This backend crash should have left a core file in your database
>> directory (PGDATA/base/users/core). Can you provide a backtrace
>> from that corefile using gdb?

> No core there ... any other suggestions?

You probably started the postmaster with a ulimit setting that prevents
coredumps (ulimit -c 0 or something like that, see your ulimit man page).
On some Unixen, this ulimit setting is the default for anything started
from a system boot script. Restart the postmaster with ulimit -c
unlimited, either by starting it by hand or adding a ulimit call to the
boot script. Then reproduce the crash to get a core file.

> With respect to GCC errors, '11' normally indicates a hardware
> problem

Uh, whoever told you that? Signal 11 is SIGSEGV on most Unixen,
and that just means the program tried to dereference an invalid
pointer. Almost certainly, we're looking at some software bug
here, not a hardware failure.