Re: [patch] Improve documentation around FreeBSD Kernel Tuning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Brad Davis <brd(at)FreeBSD(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [patch] Improve documentation around FreeBSD Kernel Tuning
Date: 2012-01-03 23:43:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Since I didn't actually tell you that I've made a context diff
> for you, and it's attached. I'll let someone with more FBSD-fu than me
> actually comment on it.

I have no FBSD-fu whatever, but the question this patch raises in my
mind is whether /boot/loader.conf exists in every version of FBSD.
If not, we probably need to say something like "do this in versions >=
whatever, and do the other in versions before that." Likewise, has
it always been true that -w is unnecessary? For other systems
such as Mac OS X, we have recommendations covering quite ancient OS
releases, and I don't see why we'd not hold the FreeBSD section to the
same standard.