Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL
Date: 2002-03-22 05:52:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Say in the future we want to support changing column type as well. How
> would we work that in?

> ALTER TABLE blah ALTER COLUMN col SET int4; ??????

Seems one keyword shy of a load; I'd prefer

ALTER TABLE blah ALTER COLUMN col SET TYPE int4;

Otherwise, every keyword that might appear after SET will have to be
fully reserved (else it couldn't be distinguished from a type name).

I like the "SET NULL"/"SET NOT NULL" variant better than SET/DROP, even
though "SET NULL" is perhaps open to misinterpretation. "DROP NOT NULL"
seems just as confusing for anyone who's not read the documentation :-(