Re: pgsql: Append major version number and for libraries soname major

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Append major version number and for libraries soname major
Date: 2008-12-16 14:53:26
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Dave Page wrote:
>> Any eta on a fix for this? My internal builds are failing as well as
>> red_bat. (and yes, the other 2 MSVC buildfarm members are currently
>> waiting for Dell to get hold of a new motherboard for their box).

> I think the maintenance of the MSVC build system is the job of the,
> well, maintainer of the MSVC build system, whoever that may be. In
> other words, I have no ETA for you from me. I'd be glad, however, to
> provide information to the maintainers.

I do not think this is an appropriate attitude for a committer to take.
You are responsible for what you commit. If you don't have the
knowledge to fix something, or the resources to test it, okay ... but
you then need to be proactive about getting someone else to fix/test it.
Or else revert the broken patch.