Re: archiver ps display

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: archiver ps display
Date: 2007-12-18 00:54:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Patch to set ps display for archiver enclosed, intended for 8.3

I think this is a good idea. However, experimentation here showed that
at least on some machines (like HPUX), there's a pretty tight limit
before ps cuts off the display, and the more verbose messages discussed
on -hackers cause the last few digits of the filename to be cut off.
Which makes the display just about entirely useless. So I went with
these messages:

archiving %s
last was %s
failed on %s

We might need to make it even briefer, perhaps

at: %s
last: %s
failed: %s

depending on reports from the field.