Re: AIX5.2 compile for PG 8.0.2. -- novice installer

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AIX5.2 compile for PG 8.0.2. -- novice installer
Date: 2005-05-07 04:46:54
Lists: pgsql-ports

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
> It may be handy for you to know what sorts of things we have found
> useful to compile and install in addition to PostgreSQL on AIX:

> 1. GNU readline 5.0
> 2. zlib 1.2.1
> 3. GNU Make 3.8.0
> 4. m4 1.4
> 5. GNU flex 2.5.4
> 6. GNU Bison 1.875

You definitely do need GNU make if you are going to compile Postgres,
and you want to have readline and zlib if you want to build fully
functional psql and pg_dump/pg_restore (respectively).

In theory you should not need m4, flex, or bison to build Postgres
from a distribution tarball (though you likely will need them to build
from a CVS pull). A tarball should include all the derived files that
you'd otherwise need these programs to build. If you've found otherwise
please let us know ...