Re: Idea for improving speed of pg_restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Idea for improving speed of pg_restore
Date: 2003-09-17 04:16:48
Lists: pgsql-general

"scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:
> Not so sure on whether the foot gun is a good idea. We already have .22
> calibre foot gun (fsync) that makes for pretty big improvements in load
> speed, and we see people all the time on General and Performance running
> production servers with it turned off. You know as well as I do the
> second we make WAL optional, some people are gonna start running
> production servers with it.

Well, yeah, they will. On a noncritical server, is that a sin? I mean,
if we offer fsync-off, it's not clear to me that offering WAL-off makes
the difference between venial and mortal sin. Seems to me we're just
putting the weapons in the display case. fsync = .22, WAL = .45,
but you shoot your foot with either one it's still gonna ruin your day.