Re: Another reason to hate our name...

From: "Liam O'Duibhir" <liamod(at)fast(dot)fujitsu(dot)com(dot)au>
To: devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate our name...
Date: 2006-08-10 05:44:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi,

I share Devrim's view. As someone who is principally concerned with the
business perception of PostgreSQL, as opposed to its technical
noteworthiness, I can't see a lot of point in attempting a rebranding
exercise at this point in time. Energies would be better directed at
marketing the product more aggressively, I feel.

The PostgreSQL 'brand', for all its awkwardness, is well established and
phenomenally successful (though there is infinitely more that can be
achieved). Its name is just not a strong aspect of its 'sales appeal'. There
are plenty of precedents for this with commercially successful products, in
my subjective opinion.

I would rather see the debate move to just that, how to better present
PostgreSQL's commercial attractiveness - cost benefits, return on
investment, strategic advantages etc...

Regards,

Liam

Liam O'Duibhir - Product Manager - Open Source Software

Fujitsu Australia Software Technology

14 Rodborough Road, Frenchs Forest NSW 2086

Tel: (61-2) 9452 9068 Fax: (61-2) 9975 3779

Mob: 0423 025 852 Email: LiamOD(at)fast(dot)fujitsu(dot)com(dot)au

*http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html*<http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html>