Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2021-04-12 16:23:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
>> Between this and the known breakage of control-C, it seems clear
>> to me that this patch was nowhere near ready for prime time.
>> I think shoving it in on the last day before feature freeze was
>> ill-advised, and it ought to be reverted. We can try again later.

> The patch has been asleep for quite a while, and was resurrected, possibly
> too late in the process. ISTM that fixing it for 14 is manageable,
> but this is not my call.

I just observed an additional issue that I assume was introduced by this
patch, which is that psql's response to a server crash has gotten
repetitive:

regression=# CREATE VIEW v1(c1) AS (SELECT ('4' COLLATE "C")::INT FROM generate_series(1, 10));
before or while processing the request.
!?>

I've never seen that before, and it's not because I don't see
server crashes regularly.