Why does logical replication launcher set application_name?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Why does logical replication launcher set application_name?
Date: 2017-04-11 18:40:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I notice looking at pg_stat_activity that the logical replication launcher
sets its application_name to "logical replication launcher". This seems
inconsistent (no other standard background process sets application_name),
redundant with other columns that already tell you what it is, and an
unreasonable consumption of horizontal space in the tabular output.
Can we drop that? If we do have to have something like that, what about
putting it in the "query" field where it's much less likely to be
substantially wider than any other entry in the column?