Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

From: Dmitry Koval <d(dot)koval(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Date: 2022-05-31 19:43:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>Just out of curiosity, why is SPLIT / MERGE support not included for
>HASH partitions? Because sibling partitions can have a different
>modulus, you should be able to e.g. split a partition with (modulus,
>remainder) of (3, 1) into two partitions with (mod, rem) of (6, 1) and
>(6, 4) respectively, with the reverse being true for merge operations,
>right?

You are right, SPLIT/MERGE operations can be added for HASH-partitioning
in the future. But HASH-partitioning is rarer than RANGE- and
LIST-partitioning and I decided to skip it in the first step.
Maybe community will say that SPLIT/MERGE commands are not needed... (At
first step I would like to make sure that it is no true)

P.S. I attached patch with 1-line warning fix (for cfbot).
--
With best regards,
Dmitry Koval

Postgres Professional: http://postgrespro.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-partitions-split-merge.patch text/plain 256.5 KB