Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Date: 2006-04-27 15:19:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Apr 25, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Ron Peacetree wrote:

> ...and even if you do buy Intel, =DON"T= buy Dell unless you like
> causing trouble for yourself.
> Bad experiences with Dell in general and their poor PERC RAID
> controllers in specific are all over this and other DB forums.

I don't think that their current controllers suck like their older
ones did. That's what you'll read about in the archives -- the old
stuff. Eg, the 1850's embedded RAID controller really flies, but it
only works with the internal disks. I can't comment on the external
array controller for the 1850, but I cannot imagine it being any slower.

And personally, I've not experienced any major problems aside from
two bad PE1550's 4 years ago. And I have currently about 15 Dell
servers running 24x7x365 doing various tasks, including postgres.

However, my *big* databases always go on dual opteron boxes. my
current favorite is the SunFire X4100 with an external RAID.