Re: how to clear server log

From: Ben Chobot <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
To: Amy Smith <vah123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to clear server log
Date: 2010-02-24 23:05:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Feb 24, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Amy Smith wrote:

> this is the server log file, how many days server log files need to be keep as a mimumum ?
>
> thanks

That question is up to you to answer. How far back do you want to be able to look? What do you do with your log files? As you no doubt have realized, more logs take more space and so you can't just keep everything, but generally the more the better. As a data point that may or may not be good advice for you, we keep a week's worth of log files, but mostly that's just for paranoia. We do all our processing in real-time or the day after.