Re: [ADMIN] License Issue

From: Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "May, Randy" <Randy(dot)May(at)Teradata(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] License Issue
Date: 2009-04-21 17:05:06
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

>> I am part of an organization that is beginning to write commercial
>> applications for various Portals (Liferay, etc.). We would like to
>> be
>> able to deploy PostGresQL as the lightweight database for the
>> Portal to
>> connect to. Our request for approval to our Legal Department has
>> stalled due to the following language in one of the files:
>
> Seems like the easy solution is to rip out the AIX files in your
> server deployments ... or are you actually intending to support AIX?

AIX itself now offers the functions found in src/backend/port/
dynloader/aix.c so I think that file may be obsolete as of (at least
AIX 5.3).

aix.c was required long ago because AIX did not offer the popular
dlopen(), dlsym(), dlclose(), and dlerror() functions - you had to
write them yourself.

-- Korry