Re: *****SPAM***** Re: if-clause to an exiting statement

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Kobi Biton <kobi(at)comns(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: *****SPAM***** Re: if-clause to an exiting statement
Date: 2010-12-07 17:44:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Dec 7, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Kobi Biton wrote:

> I know it does not sound logic however I do need to set the row count
> to 1 in case row count returns 0

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: you can't do that. The only thing you can do is make sure your query returns a row, and in the case where it currently doesn't return a row I have absolutely no idea what it would be that you would need to return.

If it would be acceptable to always return some hard-wired dummy row in addition to the 0 or more rows that match the current query, then you could use a UNION to add the dummy row to the selection. Otherwise, perhaps the real problem is that you do not have a matching event in the database and the real solution is to add such an event.

In your original post you referred to an application bug where a trigger does not run if the row count is 0. It's hard for me to imagine how it's a bug to not take action when there is no event that needs processing...

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com