Re: Is anyone working on pg_dump?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is anyone working on pg_dump?
Date: 2000-02-29 15:28:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> One of the major must-fix items remaining on my to-do-for-7.0 list
> is making pg_dump smarter about the order to dump stuff in, so as
> to avoid problems like table constraints referring to not-yet-
> defined functions.

I spent a couple evenings working on this, and have made good progress;
but looking at how much I've changed and how much remains, I'm forced
to realize that this is "too big a change for beta". It requires a
major restructuring of pg_dump. Since we don't have regression tests
for pg_dump, I think the risk of breaking something is too high for
this phase of the release cycle.

I plan to set the unfinished code aside for now, and come back to it
early in the 7.1 cycle. We'll have to live with the ordering issue
for another release.