Re: fsutil ideas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Brant <Peter(dot)Brant(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: fsutil ideas
Date: 2006-02-24 04:32:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Do we actually need this functionality inside the
> DBMS in the first place?

I think that is the $64 question. My immediate instinct is "no".
See the knock-down-drag-out fights we had last summer about whether
to expose any filesystem access in built-in standard functions at all.
There will be what the Supreme Court would call "strict scrutiny"
concerning the need for this, possible security risks, etc.