Re: patch: ResultSetTest.java

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Ken Geis <kgeis(at)speakeasy(dot)net>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch: ResultSetTest.java
Date: 2005-10-25 20:49:24
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> writes:
> Any plans for the backend to require send/receive functions for all
> types?

Highly unlikely, since that would break most user-defined types in existence.

> Or perhaps something like using the input/output functions if
> send/receive are not present?

Doesn't seem like an amazingly good idea ... how would you know what you
were getting?

A more salient point is exactly what is JDBC going to *do* with data in
an unknown binary format?

You may have to fall back to providing a switch somewhere that says
whether or not to use binary I/O, with the understanding that it's only
safe to turn it on when all the queries use only supported types.