Re: pg_get_tabledef

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: usama(dot)munir(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Naz Gassiep" <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_get_tabledef
Date: 2007-05-21 21:22:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Usama Munir" <usama(dot)munir(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> I guess the way forward for me would be to crawl back in my corner,
> write up a mini - spec of how i intend to implement it and get back to
> you guys.

Well, the *first* thing to do is read pg_dump for awhile. Until you've
grokked what it does to support multiple backend versions and how it
handles inter-object dependencies (dump ordering problems), you won't be
able to write a spec that has any credibility. In particular, the
business about breaking circular dependency loops is something I have
no idea how to handle in a simple "dump library" API.