Access remote DB (outside local network) via PgAdmin

From: Piero Campa <piero(dot)campa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Access remote DB (outside local network) via PgAdmin
Date: 2010-06-19 10:03:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi to everyone,
well until now I could easiily access a remote hosted database in my local
network via PgAdmin: just set the IP and port and login info and I was done.

But whether I want to access that database from outside my network, even
without encrypted tunnels by now, what do I have to do?

In my thoughts I should configure my router in order to bind for example
<Server_IP (192.168.0.2)>:5432 <--> <Router_External_IP>:<some_port>. So
when I add a server in PgAdmin and I'm outside the network I set
<Router_External_IP> as IP and <some_port> as listening port.

Is it possible?
Or, maube better, which is the correct way of working like this?

Thank you in advance.
Piero