Re: Daylight Savings Time handling on persistent connections

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Randall Nortman <postgreslists(at)wonderclown(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time handling on persistent connections
Date: 2004-10-31 17:47:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Randall Nortman <postgreslists(at)wonderclown(dot)com> writes:
> I can't reproduce the error without messing up my clock, but from my
> logs, here's the text of the SQL sent to the server:

> insert into sensor_readings_numeric (sensor_id, reading_ts, reading,
> min, max) values (3, '2004-10-31 01:00:00', 0.540602, 0.519071837254,
> 0.551811824539)

> And this came back:
> ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "sensor_readings_numeric_pkey"

Hmm ... and you were generating that timestamp string how exactly?
I suspect that you actually sent the same timestamp string twice, one
hour apart, in which case I'd have to call this an application bug.
You really need to include the timezone specification in order to
have an unambiguous timestamp string. It doesn't have to be UTC as you
previously suggested, but it does have to be labeled with the intended
zone.