Re: (auto)vacuum truncate exclusive lock

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (auto)vacuum truncate exclusive lock
Date: 2013-04-12 19:18:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> writes:
> For now what I'm suggesting is generating statistics in all the
> cases it did before, plus the case where it starts truncation but
> does not complete it. The fact that before this patch there were
> cases where the autovacuum worker was killed, resulting in not
> generating needed statistics seems like a bug, not a behavior we
> need to preserve.

Well, in the case where it gets killed, it's still not gonna generate
statistics. What we've really got here is a new case that did not exist
before, namely that it voluntarily stops truncating. But I agree that
modeling that case's behavior on the kill case was poorly thought out.

In other words, yes, I think we're on the same page.