Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work
Date: 2006-06-08 16:56:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So far we have myself, Kevin, Martijn and Luke all saying there is a
> distortion or a massive overhead caused by EXPLAIN ANALYZE.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-03/msg00954.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-05/msg00168.php

The first of these shows the exact opposite of what you are claiming,
and the second is without details of any sort that might help determine
what the actual problem is.

Given that we're seeing diametrically opposed results on the same OS
(FC5) and similar (at least all Intel) hardware, I think the prudent
thing is to find out what's really going on before leaping in with
proposed solutions. As the person who's *not* seeing the problem,
I'm not in a position to do that investigation...