Re: BUG #18261: Inconsistent results of SELECT affected by joined subqueries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: zuming(dot)jiang(at)inf(dot)ethz(dot)ch, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18261: Inconsistent results of SELECT affected by joined subqueries
Date: 2023-12-28 16:32:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I've looked into it a bit. The problem lies in how the SJE code handles
> the transfer of qual clauses from the removed relation to the remaining
> one.

I am definitely starting to think that the SJE patch was not ready
for prime time. We keep finding not only minor but major problems
in it --- I'd call this one a "major" one. Is it time to revert
and rethink it from scratch?

> If we determine that avoiding duplicates is necessary, I think at least
> we should compare the entire RestrictInfos not just their clauses. One
> challenge with this approach is that the 'rinfo_serial' usually differs,
> making direct comparison problematic. I'm wondering if we can make
> 'rinfo_serial' equal_ignore. Not too sure about that.

I'd say that that will break the cases rinfo_serial was introduced for.
Now, I certainly don't love rinfo_serial and would be happier if we
could do without it, but getting rid of it is another research project.