Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations
Date: 2016-03-21 19:11:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'll admit it's awkward because it's abbreviated but if someone enters
> \watch 5 and then sees (5s) in the title I think they can put two and two
> together.

Where I find this to be awkward is that the format is randomly different
between the user-title and no-user-title cases.

What about just discarding the old format entirely, and printing one of
these two things:

Timestamp (every Ns)

User Given Title <tab> Timestamp (every Ns)

> If the watched query takes a long to run, or there is a disruption, knowing
> when the last one ran and how often it is supposed to run is useful info to
> have at ones fingertips.

That's not unreasonable. I just want it to look less weirdly different
between the two cases.