Re: Removing pg_pltemplate and creating "trustable" extensions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Removing pg_pltemplate and creating "trustable" extensions
Date: 2020-01-29 18:19:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 16:17 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> On the other hand, there's the point that lots of people have probably
>>> given out schema-CREATE privilege to users whom they wouldn't necessarily
>>> wish to trust with INSTALL privilege. Schema-CREATE is a pretty harmless
>>> privilege, INSTALL much less so.

>> CREATE doesn't just control the ability to create schemas these days- it
>> was extended to cover publications also not that long ago.

> Oh really ... hm, that does make it a much bigger deal than I was
> thinking. Given that, I don't think there's any huge objection to
> attaching this to CREATE, at least till we get around to a more
> significant redesign.

Here's a v5 that drops the new predefined role and allows
trusted-extension installation when you have CREATE on the current
database. There's no other changes except a bit of documentation
wordsmithing.

Barring further complaints, I'm going to push this fairly soon.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-invent-trusted-extensions-5.patch text/x-diff 16.6 KB
0002-make-pls-pure-extensions-5.patch text/x-diff 13.1 KB
0003-interpret-create-lang-as-create-ext-5.patch text/x-diff 28.9 KB
0004-remove-pg_pltemplate-5.patch text/x-diff 17.1 KB