Re: more personal copyrights

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: more personal copyrights
Date: 2010-08-09 14:11:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> A few months ago Bruce was doing a hunting of personal Copyrights
> notices, but i still found a lot of files copyrighted to: Regents of
> the University of California and other files copyrighted to
> individuals (ej: almost everything inside src/backend/regex is
> copyrighted to Henry Spencer)

> there's something we can/need to do about it?

No. The regex code was lifted whole hog from Spencer's package;
it would be most uncivilized, as well as illegal, to remove his name
from it.

The case that we are trying to eliminate is where people have put
individual copyrights on code that was written specifically for
Postgres. There's no good reason to have such files look like they
might have a license different from the rest of Postgres. However,
Spencer's code isn't in that category --- it's also in Tcl, and
I imagine it was once distributed as a standalone library.