Re: BUG #3724: Duplicate values added to table despite unique index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mason Hale" <masonhale(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3724: Duplicate values added to table despite unique index
Date: 2007-11-06 20:28:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Mason Hale" <masonhale(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Nov 6, 2007 1:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Mph. I'm afraid the evidence is mostly gone then, and we probably won't
>> be able to figure out what happened.

> Sorry about that. But I had to get things back up and running.

Understood, but it's unlikely we'll be able to find the cause without
a test case to poke at.

>> 2. Can you check that there are still 1 (rather than 0) copies of the
>> rows in the 8.2.5 DB?

> Yes, we have 1 of each row (I kept the most recently updated version of
> each):

Ah, I forgot that the rows were obviously not identical because of the
differing updated_at values.

Tell us more about the updating process --- is it likely that there
could be conflicting concurrent updates on a row? What does your
app do in such cases?