Re: More efficient RI checks - take 2

From: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More efficient RI checks - take 2
Date: 2020-04-23 05:08:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Right -- the idea I was talking about was to create a Plan tree
> > without using the main planner. So it wouldn't bother costing an index
> > scan on each index, and a sequential scan, on the target table - it
> > would just make an index scan plan, or maybe an index path that it
> > would then convert to an index plan. Or something like that.
>
> Consing up a Path tree and then letting create_plan() make it into
> an executable plan might not be a terrible idea. There's a whole
> boatload of finicky details that you could avoid that way, like
> everything in setrefs.c.
>
> But it's not entirely clear to me that we know the best plan for a
> statement-level RI action with sufficient certainty to go that way.
> Is it really the case that the plan would not vary based on how
> many tuples there are to check, for example?

I'm concerned about that too. With my patch the checks become a bit slower if
only a single row is processed. The problem seems to be that the planner is
not entirely convinced about that the number of input rows, so it can still
build a plan that expects many rows. For example (as I mentioned elsewhere in
the thread), a hash join where the hash table only contains one tuple. Or
similarly a sort node for a single input tuple.

--
Antonin Houska