Re: static genericcostestimate

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ramy M(dot) Hassan" <rhassan(at)cs(dot)purdue(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: static genericcostestimate
Date: 2005-04-10 16:44:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ramy M. Hassan" <rhassan(at)cs(dot)purdue(dot)edu> writes:
> The genericcostestimate function is currently static. This limits the
> development of new access methods as loadable modules without touching
> pgsql sources. Currently I have to include a copy of the function in the
> module, which is obviously too bad.
> Is there any reason to keep this function static ?

Is it really of much use for your access method? It's such a crude hack
that I didn't want to encourage people to use it ... it is really just a
stopgap until someone gets around to thinking harder about the actual
access behavior of the existing index AMs.

BTW, what are you working on? I had no idea that anyone was
experimenting with new index methods.