Re: CONNECT BY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ruslan A Dautkhanov <rusland(at)scn(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CONNECT BY
Date: 2004-05-07 04:38:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ruslan A Dautkhanov <rusland(at)scn(dot)ru> writes:
> Here's the patch ( http://gppl.terminal.ru/ ), which allow
> PostgreSQL use queries like
> connect by id = prior parent_id

Isn't this the same patch that we rejected a year or two back?

> as described in SQL standard...

AFAIK there is no such syntax in any version of the SQL standard.
The syntax that *is* there in SQL99 uses "WITH" to achieve roughly
the same results, but with much syntactic difference from Oracle.

If you'd like to submit a patch that implements spec-compatible
WITH, I can pass along some preliminary work that Andrew Overholt
did at Red Hat.