Re: [BUGS] libpq causes segfault when share library unloaded

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Studt <jim(at)federated(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] libpq causes segfault when share library unloaded
Date: 1999-11-05 01:16:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jim Studt <jim(at)federated(dot)com> writes:
> libpq will define an environment variable for PGCLIENTENCODING if
> none is specified. If libpq is a shared library that is dynamically
> loaded, and it is subsequently unloaded then it leaves an entry in
> the environ array pointing into unmapped memory which will cause
> a segfault the next time the environment array is traversed.

Hmm. Dynamically unloading a library can cause all sorts of problems,
of course, but the particular code you're complaining of is pretty
bletcherous anyway --- it's using a fixed-size buffer which seems mighty
risky. I'm inclined to make it put the putenv() string into a malloc'd
buffer instead. Would that solve the problem in your environment?

regards, tom lane