Re: segmentation fault in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David George <david(at)onyxsoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: segmentation fault in psql
Date: 2001-04-01 02:46:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David George <david(at)onyxsoft(dot)com> writes:
> Here is a backtrace with debug enabled:
> (gdb) bt
> #0 0x446cc in putc ()
> #1 0x26748 in print_aligned_text (title=0x0, headers=0x746d0,
> cells=0x746e0, footers=0x746f0, opt_align=0x74700 "l",
> opt_barebones=0 '\000', opt_border=1, fout=0x68458) at print.c:288

Hmm. Line 288 is

fputc(' ', fout);

which is difficult to imagine screwing up. So it does seem that you
must have library problems.

> I had a thought. I remember configure checking for sfio (which I actually
> have installed), but it wasn't checking for libstdio.a so I added
> (AC_CHECK_LIB(stdio, main)) to configure.in right under the sfio check
> and ran autoconf then configure again. This time I don't get a segfault.

Uh, what are sfio and stdio anyway, and why would we want them? putc is
in plain old libc in every system I've dealt with. If you remove both
sfio and stdio from configure, does it work any better?