Re: Win32 Event log

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 Event log
Date: 2004-08-12 14:39:44
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> The attached patch directs FATAL and PANIC elog's to the event log as
> well as their normal destination.

I don't think this is a good idea. In the first place, FATAL errors are
not necessarily serious or out-of-the-ordinary --- an example is that
all authorization errors are FATAL. In the second place, the proposed
patch deliberately subverts what the DBA has set as the logging output
parameters. I dislike software that knows better than I do what I want
and is willing to ignore what I told it to do on those grounds. In the
third place, no one is going to have any difficulty picking out PANICs
from "other events" ;-)

A patch that would be more in the spirit of Postgres is to allow different
min_log_level values for the different possible log destinations
(stderr, syslog, eventlog). However that looks a lot like a new feature
to me, so maybe it will have to wait for 8.1.