Re: Comma Comma Comma 8601

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Comma Comma Comma 8601
Date: 2013-07-22 23:17:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com> writes:
> But I do wonder if the comma should be allowed for fractional seconds,
> since the spec says it is preferred (and often used in Javaland, I'm
> told). As in "14:30:50,232". Thoughts?

Does that create any ambiguities against formats we already support?
I'm worried about examples like this one:

select 'monday, july 22, 22:30 2013'::timestamptz;
timestamptz
2013-07-22 22:30:00-04
(1 row)

Right now I'm pretty sure that the datetime parser treats comma as a
noise symbol. If that stops being true, we're likely to break some
applications out there (admittedly, possibly rather strange ones,
but still ...)