Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date: 2009-06-08 16:36:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> * pg_buffercache has changed the view pg_buffercache, which is
> definitely going to be a migration issue. Need to test whether
> it represents a crash risk if the old definition is migrated.

I checked this, and there is not a crash risk: the function successfully
creates its result tuplestore, and then the main executor notices it's
not compatible with the old view. So you get

regression=# select * from pg_buffercache;
ERROR: function return row and query-specified return row do not match
DETAIL: Returned row contains 8 attributes, but query expects 7.

You can fix it by dropping and recreating the view (eg, run the module's
uninstall and then install scripts). I suppose that might be a bit
annoying if you've built additional views atop this one, but overall
it doesn't sound too bad.

So I don't plan to do anything about this module. Still working on
the others.