Re: Duplicate Workers entries in some EXPLAIN plans

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Georgios Kokolatos <gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate Workers entries in some EXPLAIN plans
Date: 2020-01-24 17:40:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Great, thank you. I noticed in the CF patch tester app, the build
> fails on Windows [1]. Investigating, I realized I had failed to fully
> strip volatile EXPLAIN info (namely buffers) in TEXT mode due to a
> bad regexp_replace.

You haven't gone nearly far enough in that direction. The proposed
output still relies on the assumption that the session will always
get as many workers as it asks for, which it will not. For previous
bitter experience in this department, see for instance commits 4ea03f3f4
and 13e8b2ee8.

TBH I am not sure that the proposed regression tests for this change
can be committed at all. Which is a bit of a problem perhaps, but
then again we don't have terribly good coverage for the existing code
either, for the same reason.