Re: 4 billion record limit?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul Caskey <paul(at)nmxs(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Users <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 4 billion record limit?
Date: 2000-07-28 06:12:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Paul Caskey <paul(at)nmxs(dot)com> writes:

>> Only in the system tables, and not even in all of them. From the
>> system's point of view, there's no real need to assign OIDs to
>> user table rows at all --- so another possible answer is not to
>> do that, unless the user requests it.

> That's interesting (almost shocking) to know, but it's probably too late
> to put the lid back on that bottle. I imagine a lot of software has been
> written especially for postgres, like pgaccess, which use the oid field
> along with cursors, etc. A lot of people have probably also relied on the
> oid as a convenient unique record identifier.

Indeed, I have written such applications myself (though only after
estimating they'd not exceed 4G rows before my children's children's
children are safely dead ;-)). This is why we'd have to continue to
offer OIDs for user tables as an option. Whether it should be default
or not is debatable.

Personally I prefer the straight-ahead approach of supporting wider
OIDs. Sooner or later we will need to be able to handle wider-than-
32bit transaction IDs and block numbers too, and there's no cute
workaround for those. Might as well get some practice with OIDs.

> FWIW, I checked into MySQL, and as far as I can tell, they have nothing
> like this implicit 4 billion transactional "limit".

Hmph. Has anyone ever come close to shoving 4G rows into MySQL? Maybe
they just haven't documented their limits...