Undesirable entries in typedefs list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Undesirable entries in typedefs list
Date: 2018-03-24 17:25:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I noticed that doing pgindent with the current typedefs list available
from the buildfarm caused a lot of havoc in what had been stable code.
Looking into the reasons, it seems that:

(1) "bool" is no longer listed as a typedef name (probably because
stdbool.h makes it a macro instead);

(2) "abs", "boolean", "iterator", "other", "pointer", "reference",
"string", and "type" all now are listed as typedef names.

It's probably okay to treat "boolean" as a typedef, but all those others
are complete disasters. Anyone know where they're coming from?

As for "bool", we could probably deal with that most reliably by
having pgindent add it as a special case. Maybe we could get it
back in there by having some trailing-edge buildfarm member
contribute typedefs, but that seems like a solution with a rather
limited half-life.