Re: Link requirements creep

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Link requirements creep
Date: 2008-05-18 01:36:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> 1. Use -Wl,--as-needed as linker flag. Portability unknown...

> Didn't we run into problems with this before?

Hm, yeah, thanks for reminding me to check the archives. We tried to do
exactly this three years ago, and it crashed and burned. See

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-10/msg01364.php

The followup discussion to that was along the lines of "it's too late
for 8.1, but we should try it for 8.2". Seems to have slipped through
the cracks though.

I've been testing a new patch and do not see the problem on Fedora 8,
so at least that platform's readline seems to be fixed. I find
the hack Martijn proposes in the above message to be pretty ugly,
so what I'm inclined to do is leave that out for now and see what
failures we get. The availability of the buildfarm makes experimenting
with this kind of thing a lot safer ...