Re: Postgres Enhancement Request

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, "Zwettler Markus (OIZ)" <Markus(dot)Zwettler(at)zuerich(dot)ch>
Subject: Re: Postgres Enhancement Request
Date: 2019-03-20 13:59:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> Zwettler Markus (OIZ) schrieb am 20.03.2019 um 11:10:
>> Please prevent users with CREATEROLE to create roles having CREATEDB (analogous SUPERUSER and REPLICATION).

> I agree that would be a welcome enhancement.

No, it wouldn't. The point of CREATEROLE is to allow user creation
and deletion to be done by a role that's less than full superuser.
If we changed it like that, then you'd be right back at needing
superuser for very routine role creations. That's *not* an
improvement, even if it somehow fit better into the OP's desired
security model (which he hasn't explained).