Re: BUG #4296: Server crashes by restoring database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michal Szelag" <msz(at)szel(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4296: Server crashes by restoring database
Date: 2008-07-11 13:55:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Michal Szelag" <msz(at)szel(dot)pl> writes:
> i have a server crash by retoring database.

> I try to retore my database from a custom package with pg_restore and prom a
> plain package with psql. In both i have the same problem, psl and pg_restore
> outputs:
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQputCopyData: server closed
> the connection unexpectedly

You're evidently tripping over some kind of bug, but we can't help you
without a lot more detail than this. Try to identify the exact command
that's crashing (hint: turn on log_statements and watch the postmaster
log). See if you can put together a self-contained script that causes
the crash. That will let us fix the problem, and it might let you find
a workaround to reload your data even in advance of a real fix.