8x2.5" or 6x3.5" disks

From: "Christian Nicolaisen" <blackbrrd(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 8x2.5" or 6x3.5" disks
Date: 2008-01-28 19:25:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi

We are looking to buy a new server and I am wondering what kind of hardware
we should buy and how to configure it.

We are either getting 8x 2.5" 15k rpm sas disks or 6x 3.5" 15k rpm sas
disks.
If we go with the 2.5" disks I think we should run 6 disks in raid 10 for
the database and 2 disks in raid 1 for os/wal
If we go with the 3.5" disks I think we should run 4 disks in raid 10 for
the database and 2 disks in raid 1 for os/wal

The database has currently about 40gb data and 20gb indexes. The work
consists mainly of small transactions, with
the occasional report. Currently we have 10gb ram, which is enough to hold
the working set in memory 99% of the time.
The database server will only be running postgres, nothing else.

So, my question is: should I go for the 2.5" disk setup or 3.5" disk setup,
and does the raid setup in either case look correct?