Re: Generating config stuff from single source

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Generating config stuff from single source
Date: 2006-02-16 15:52:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Am Donnerstag, 16. Februar 2006 02:50 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> That's fine for users, but what new demands are you about to place on
>> developers? Does this require tools not already needed in order to
>> build from a CVS pull? (There's sure no xsltproc on this machine...)

> It is to be expected that sooner or later we'll move from SGML to XML
> documentation builds, at which point xsltproc will become a semi-requirement
> anyway. I don't think this requirement is too onerous; libxslt is portable
> and easy to install.

Forgot to mention, but: I don't find the above argument very convincing.
The buildfarm machines are not expected to build documentation, and many
developers seem not to have installed doc tools either. So I think this
would be raising the bar another notch in terms of what's required to do
development or testing, even if it does overlap with docs-build needs.