Re: HP-UX shared library installation is incorrect

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HP-UX shared library installation is incorrect
Date: 2002-12-23 02:55:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> 1. the libraries are installed with their base names such as
> 'libpq.sl' being regular files, with versioned names being
> symbolic links to the base names:
> This should be the other way around:

Probably so. I had not realized that HP's linker is affected by which
way the symlinks run, but it appears that it is.

> 2. the versioned names are possibly incorrect: 'libpq.sl.2' should be
> 'libpq.2' by analogy to the libc example above.

This I disagree with: I consider HP's naming convention ugly and
misleading. ".sl" should be in the name *somewhere*.

The open-source libraries I have on my machine seem to mostly put the
version number after .sl, eg

lrwxrwxrwx 1 gnu users 14 Apr 27 2000 libgdbm.sl@ -> libgdbm.sl.2.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gnu users 14 Apr 27 2000 libgdbm.sl.2@ -> libgdbm.sl.2.0
-r-xr-xr-x 1 gnu users 45203 Nov 18 1999 libgdbm.sl.2.0*

I'd be in favor of following this convention.