Re: Another swing at JSON

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another swing at JSON
Date: 2011-04-02 18:59:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
> This and removing module_pathname in the control files to just use
> $libdir/contrib in the .sql files. That would set a better example to
> people who want to make their own extensions, as the general case is
> that those will not get into contrib.

I'm not sure it's a better example. We considered doing that before,
and decided not to on the grounds that using MODULE_PATHNAME avoids
hard-wiring the name of the shared library into the SQL scripts. Also,
IIRC, there are a couple of contrib modules where there's an actual
problem in doing it like that; though I'm unable to recall details as
I'm fighting a head cold at the moment.

My original intention when I started working with the extensions patch
had in fact been to do what you suggest above, but I was convinced not
to. I don't think we should reverse that decision at the last minute.